School Safety Driving Tips
Most of our local school districts have started their new school year. Even though many students in our area travel to school by bus (which is the safest means of transportation), many others walk or ride their bike. The National Transportation Safety Administration points out that it is everyone’s responsibility to help to ensure children travel to and from school safely. Here are some important reminders for motorists directly off of their web site:
- When backing out of a driveway or leaving a garage, watch out for children walking or bicycling to school.
- When driving in neighborhoods with school zones, watch out for young people who may be thinking about getting to school, but may not be thinking of getting there safely.
- Watch for children walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood.
- Slow down. Watch for children playing and congregating near bus stops.
- Be alert. Children arriving late for the bus may dart into the street without looking for traffic.
- Observe the posted speed limit in school zones.
- Learn and obey the school bus laws. It is illegal in Pennsylvania to pass a stopped school bus.